Heritage Centre

Walking Through History

by Geoff Newton

Part 1

From Tighnabruaich to Caladh

Part 2

From Tighnabruaich through Auchenlochan to Kames and around the Ardlamont peninsula to Millhouse

Local historical images in the booklet

Burnside, which now houses Botanica. In the 1911 Census, George Symington was a chemist and stationer living in Craobh House. He appeared as Publisher on some of the local postcards. This photograph appears to be from the 1960s, so it may be a relative, perhaps a son or nephew, who has the shop.

Ure’s Building, is now TighnaAllt, (House-by-the-Stream). Maybe it’s Duncan Ure himself outside. Note that the boy’s feet are shoe-less, which was the norm amongst children in the summer. The photograph is probably pre-1914.

Millhouse village, workers’ houses on the left had no windows facing the road, in case of an explosion at the factory, which was on the other side of the road. Some remains can still be seen in the wood, entered by the gap farther on.

Burnside, which now houses Botanica. In the 1911 Census, George Symington was a chemist and stationer living in Craobh House. He appeared as Publisher on some of the local postcards. This photograph appears to be from the 1960s, so it may be a relative, perhaps a son or nephew, who has the shop.

1/46

Click on image to enlarge